Post-Judgment Modifications

Pasadena Divorce Lawyer Helps Adjust Court Orders Based on Client Needs

After a divorce order has been finalized, specific elements can be modified upon request through the court. Child support, alimony, and visitation orders can be adjusted for various life circumstances. When changes in circumstances occur, a post-judgment modification might be necessary. You will need to receive approval from the court and have the new agreement put into writing before following through with the action in the request. If both parties wish to make the modification outside of court, they must follow the same procedure by putting the new agreement into writing and submitting it to the court. It may be in your best interest to retain the legal representation of a Pasadena divorce attorney from our firm to make sure that your rights and interests are protected during this process.

Only specific changes in circumstances will classify as a legitimate reason for a post-judgment modification. When the issue involves children, the child's best interest will be considered with the highest priority and concern. Some of the life changes that can result in a modification include:

  • Loss of job
  • Pay increase
  • Pay decrease
  • Large inheritance
  • Remarriage
  • Long-term illness
  • Special needs of the child
  • Criminal conviction

Any parent has the ability to seek modification for an infinite number of times until the child is no longer dependent on the parents. Until the child reaches the age of 18 or 19, he or she is generally considered a minor. Modifications for valid reasons can help parents struggling with finances or who need to relocate ensure that they maintain compliance with court orders.

Seek Legal Assistance from Cannon Legal Group

If you are seeking modification to a support or visitation order, you should speak with a knowledgeable lawyer. No matter what side of the case you are on, you are advised to not take the circumstance into your own hands. If you or your ex-spouse is seeking a modification of an existing court order, you are advised to contact one of our knowledgeable lawyers from Cannon Legal Group. We can help protect your rights and the best interests of the children involved. Representation from our firm is based on a personal approach for each client. We believe in tailoring a unique plan for all of our cases because no two modification cases are ever the same. Contact us today for the legal representation you deserve.