Contempt Proceedings in Pasadena

Information from Our Pasadena Divorce Attorneys

Contempt proceedings can arise when one party of a divorce informs the court of the other's violation of a court order. After receiving an award from the court, such as an increase in child support or visitation rights, you may face opposition from the other party. Contempt hearings can be held for various purposes related to family law matters. In many circumstances, contempt hearings may be the most effective remedy against the individual who is blatantly violating a court order. Whether you are facing opposition from your former spouse regarding unpaid child support, property settlement issues, or a visitation violation, you must take action to protect your rights and your child's best interests. Speak with a Pasadena divorce lawyer from our firm to pursue contempt proceedings.

Proving Contempt

Contempt proceedings are "quasi-criminal," which means that the individual accused of contempt has a right based on the Fifth Amendment to avoid self-incrimination. For an order of contempt against the other party to be effective, the individual filing it must prove a cause of action for contempt. If you are pursuing a contempt proceeding, you will need to prove that the other party violated an order given by the court. With the assistance of one of our Pasadena divorce attorneys from Cannon Legal Group, you can gather evidence that your ex-spouse willfully disregarded a court decree. If the court rules for contempt, new decrees can be established that bind the parent found in contempt.

Given the inherent difficulty of establishing a case of contempt, courts rarely sustain motions for contempt. To prove contempt, a party must often find exceptions in lieu of witness testimony. Another way to provide evidence is to present third-party declarations to establish a sustainable claim for contempt. Navigating the legal system in order to succeed in a contempt hearing may require professional assistance from Cannon Legal Group. If the other party has openly violated a provision of the divorce or separation decree, we can help you seek a resolution.

What if I am found in contempt?

After a decree has been issued, you must fully observe and comply with all aspects of the order. If you have been found in contempt of a court-issued decree, you can face serious sanctions. Although contempt proceedings aim to enforce a court order, you can face punishments that are designed to incentivize cooperation. You may be required to pay heavy fines, spend time in jail, perform community service, or your license may be suspended. The family law court has various options as to how court orders must be enforced. We can help you resolve this matter to avoid the civil penalties you could face. You must take immediate action to improve your situation, so contact Cannon Legal Group today. We have the experience and knowledge necessary to help you!